Friday, October 16, 2009

On Girls Clothing....

This is a hot button issue for me in recent times. I don't understand the trend of provocative clothing for young girls. A friend of mine who worked for the company sent me an email from Libby Lu that referred to their target audience as "tweens, aged 4 to 12". Really? You go right from being a toddler learning to walk to being a tween? What happened to just being a child?

I want my girls to enjoy their childhood for as long as they possibly can. I have amazon girls at my house, so even though my oldest is 7 years old chronologically, she wears a size 9 in clothing. Likewise Chloe is 5 and wears a size 7. I just don't feel that short shirts that show their belly or low slung jeans are appropriate for this age group. There is so much time for that in her life, but they only get one childhood.

A year ago we spent a very frustrating week searching high and low for a pair jeans that were NOT low slung. Wow. We couldn't find any jeans that were fun and attractive, but appropriate. I couldn't believe it. That is when we re-discovered Gymboree.

I know they have a reputation for being pricey, but everything goes on sale frequently and we wind up spending about the same amount we would in a discount chain. Plus all the items in one line coordinate with each other, giving you more for your money. The clothing is appealing to my girls, they have really cute touches to each piece; but it is always appropriate. The pants are real pants that aren't meant to sit on hipbones, the shirts go below the waistline. It has been the perfect solution for our family.

I wish more stores would catch on. Childhood is a precious thing, we shouldn't be in such a hurry to shove our kids into the big bad world of adult fashion.

4 comments:

H-Mama said...

you're right... it's so hard to find! i haven't been to that store in ages. we've recently discovered the thrill of thrift store shopping, but i may have to go check it out. thanks!

Rachel said...

I totally agree! Some of the slogans drive me bonkers on clothes for toddlers even!

Rachel said...

I know some of the comments on even toddler clothing is inappropriate!

Rob said...

Couldn't agree with this post more. Tweens starting at age FOUR now? Wowzers!