Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Hopefully every Tuesday won't be so. I want to blog tonight, sadly I didn't get enough sleep..... so my brain isn't functioning. I would load up on coffee but it only makes me tired, wired and witchy. I can't even blog on the recipe blog, I was bad and we ate pizza.....
Monday, December 29, 2008
We have also been practicing our manners, Chloe was making monster faces while she dapped daintily at her face. We have been on her to chew her food more thoroughly and she made up a rhyme for us.....
When you eat,
remember to chew,
its not just good manners,
its healthy for you!
The kid cracks me up.....
Of course, John's version of dainty wiping his mouth involves his shirt. It must be a boy thing...
Here are the kids on their new bikes, they LOVE them! Chloe passed up the princess horn to get the really freaking loud black horn. I think she almost made this very nice lady wet her pants yesterday. (Sorry nice lady!) I promise we could use it as a raid siren. John is just so happy to have graduated for a tricycle to a bicycle. And look at that grin he has, those dimples are killer.
Its quite some fun (for the people watching me) to go on a walk with one dog, one very mischievous puppy, and two kids on bikes....
The puppy is doing well. It was pointed out to me that she looked "thin", but I swear she is just growing like a weed. I am actually going to break down tomorrow and cook her and Mac some hamburger meat to add to their food. The food is available all day but they are nibblers, unless of course I put down some table food. Maybe I shouldn't leave the food network on when we leave the house, they have decided they have "standards" for food.
The puppy's ears have started to remind me alot of a certain bat named Fidget on the Great Mouse Detective. She is very smart.... too smart. I took a picture of what she does when we walk her, she puts the leash in her mouth and THEN tries to drag me down the street, you know, so it doesn't make her neck uncomfortable.... maybe she should have gotten that fortune cookie!
Saturday, December 27, 2008
We sat there, we two.
And I said, "How I wish
We had something to do!"
Too wet to go out
And too cold to play ball
So we sat in the house.
We did nothing at all.
So all we could do was to
And no we did not like it.
Not one little bit.
-Cat in the hat, Dr Suess
Well, today was dreary, it would drizzle, then rain, then rain, then drizzle. The kids and the Dogs had WAYYYY to much unspent energy. We made cookies, you can read about that here.
This last pic is of Chloe, she brought her stuffed rat out to babysit her waterbaby. Given my feelings about rats, I decided not to be a meddling mother and tell her that rats aren't proper babysitters (or that they are very very evil, you can seeeee the evil).
Emma has been at Grandma's and Chloe and John are suddenly the best of buddies. (you have to ignore her shirt that says "my brother is the naughty one") They always all play together, but it has been a different dynamic with just the two of them. So cute!
Friday, December 26, 2008
2. I can be outgoing, and I don’t think I would characterize myself as shy, but I need time alone, time with just myself, or my family to feel like I am myself. I also need time where I am quiet to just process through things. If I don't get that time apart, I start to feel a little anxious.
3. I am a lot clumsy. I have cut, burnt, and bruised myself repeatedly. (which I promise has nothing to do with #9) I can trip over a level floor, it’s not pretty.
4. I am bad at talking on the phone. A lot of that is because of the kids, they can smell it when I pick up the phone. But I think sometimes it makes me seem rude, because I just can’t keep up with anyone by phone. Plus, I'm visual, and nothing visual is going on during a phone call. I need to see the person's face, or like in an email I can see the words to really be able to be a part of a conversation.
5. I will probably always have my hair long, as a kid my parents thought it was easier to have it short, and my mom has short hair. I love short hair on other people, especially that kinda spikey, funky short hair. I have a really round face, it needs hair to break up the full moon effect.
6. I love to sew, but I have trouble following a pattern. There is something different about the way my brain works. I have to be able to see the finished product, to see how it fits together so that I can work backwards. I really work the best when I see something already made that I want to make and then I devise my own pattern for it.
7. I love to write. It’s much easier for me to be my “true” self in writing. I think I am better at communicating in writing. I have this problem where everything I think comes out my mouth, and I can get distracted in a verbal conversation............OH LOOK ITS A CHICKEN!
8. I’m terrified of rats, which is especially interesting if you know that I own mice as pets. I hate the tails, and I think they are a malevolent source of evil in the world. When I think of them, they are the ROUSS of Princess Bride fame. Seriously phobic about them…… seriously…. So much so that I really like snakes because they eat them.
9. I think I like emo music, and I’m not sure if I should be frightened, embarrassed, or grab the razor blades and start cutting? I like many different genres, but lately every time I find a song or band I really like, I find out they are considered an emo band….sigh.
10. I have insomnia, sometimes really badly. I know it sometimes comes off as “flakey” when I have to spontaneously cancel plans because I have gotten 2 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours and it sounds kinda weird to say, “I’m not going to be able to make it because I didn’t get enough sleep.” It makes me feel like a toddler. I don’t deal well with being sleepy either, it really affects me and I am afraid to drive at that point. I’m still looking for a solution.
11. I like Sci-Fi and fantasy books, and movies. I also read serious. grown up fiction and the classics. Um, I think the way I was raised, the general consensus would be to categorize sci fi and fantasy as “not good”. But, I don't agree with that, I categorize it as fiction, as pretend and make believe… really really awesomely rad make believe. If I ever won the lottery, I would fund my dream library and spend the entire day reading every day. I go through about a book every two days, reading is probably my biggest hobby, I just LOVE new ideas, things that make me think... Yes, I know, nerdy, but I love that about myself.
12. I HATE horror movies, I cannot watch a single one, they scare the CRAP outta me. I also can’t watch any movie that is overly violent or suspenseful. I have problems with movies I don’t have with books. Movies I get sucked into and they feel “real” I can’t take it, it’s like overload and I will literally have nightmares for weeks afterward. I have been this way since childhood.
13. Going back to #7, I love to write, and besides the nonfiction blogging, I write fiction and poetry, but I have only ever shown what I write to two people,…. Ever. It annoys me that all my poetry always wants to rhyme, which is cheesy and I don’t like it. But I have a fascination with words, and their meanings, how the feel in my mouth saying them, I have never gotten over my first crush on language.
14. I have been to
15. Um, about #14, I’m not sure I can survive in cold weather. I can’t drive in ice, and I have no cold weather “sense”. When I was briefly in
16. I haven’t played guitar for about seven years. Which is sad, but better things have taken its place. But I want to get back to it. I really enjoy anything creativish.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
We got this nativity set for the kids, and they LOVE it. What was odd is that Chloe insisted on being baby Jesus.... as soon as she had snatched baby Jesus from the table, she stared at Emma and John saying, "If I am Jesus, I guess now you have to pray to me.... better be nice!". Her mind works in amazing ways....
Merry Christmas !!!!!!!!!
And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more." -Dr. Seuss
who will be like me?
Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. -- Dr. Seuss
In the depth of winter I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Ring the bells that still can ring,
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That’s how the light gets in.
Life isn't about finding yourself.
Life is about creating yourself.
-- George Bernard Shaw
I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful. If not, it can't be helped.
-- Fritz Perls
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
I'm also making one exclusively for our schooling journey. Its where I will keep track of our art, crafts, schoolwork, and reading. I have tried pen and paper records, and well see the paragraph above..... So I figured this will inspire new ideas for me and do some record keeping. Plus, I love blogging, its good for my soul.
It was also the second night of Hanukkah for us. In our household we fully celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas....Christmukkah. This year I am trying to incorporate oil other than for frying. I'm pretty sure we gained 10 pounds last year during eight crazy nights. So tonight we did fresh bread that we dipped in olive oil and seasonings. It was awesome, even the kids ate it. It was an Italian Hanukkah!
So you might be wondering how Brian's asthma is doing. Well, being the holiday season we are going to have to wait until after this week to get him in to the specialist. However, being that I am our resident witch doctor I have started toying with some ways of managing his asthma. Of course we have been doing all the bathing and cleaning each day (frankly, im pooped). We refilled an asthma controller medicine he was on before and gave him a couple of pulmicort treatments right when he got home, and so far so good. I have my fingers crossed. I mean seriously, who could resist that face!?
The puppy is doing well, she and Mac get along well... he is a very patient dog. Last night I went into the kitchen and saw Mac and Leia "spooning" I told Brian how cute it was. Brian said, "Hmm, I think Leia is spooning, but Mac just hasn't run yet". He does have that longsuffering look of a very patient dog.
On the other hand, Leia seems to just love Mac. She is doing a very very good job of walking on a leash, and recently with the big growth spurt (btw, she is a MONSTER, isn't she?) I think her bladder had a growth spurt too. Potty training suddenly got much easier.
She is VERY affectionate.
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Meet Boris and Karlov. They are John's new fleecy hand monsters that also manage to keep him warm. I finished them in time for Christmas, thank goodness.
Boris and Karlov are really quite shy. While they used to be monsters, they are trying very hard to reform themselves and resist the urge to eat people. Although they have slipped up a time or thirteen, they are "working the program" and mumbling the serenity prayer as often as possible. They enjoy long walks on the beach, and hot cocoa in front of the fireplace. Twin brothers, both prefer french fries and ketchup to chocolate ice cream. Home Alone is their favorite Christmas movie.
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Sooooo, this is the card Brian got me for my birthday. He didn't get a chance to give it to me until today. This man just GETS me. So anyone who knows me, probably knows that I have general issues with alot of religion. Now, I don't have problems on the God front, so please don't sick the hell hounds, or heaven hounds on me. But I'm not a country club kind of girl and so many of the churches have that "feel" to them. However, I would join the Church of Briantology ANY DAY!!
Oh and I have been up to some serious craftiness. Since my kiddos are so into superheroes, I figured I would make these little pegdoll versions. I think they would travel well. You can buy the unpainted pegs at any hobby store and then just paint them yourself based on superheroes, princesses, geisha girls, whatever.......
Spiderman, Jon the maritan hunter, The Green Arrow, and The Green Lantern
Friday, December 19, 2008
Here is what we have been doing:
- Brian has been on antihistamines, Zyrtec
- I have been bathing Leia each week anyway
- We keep her out of the bedroom area
- Vacuuming and moping each day
- more dusting and washing of linens
- wiping the puppy down with a semi wet washcloth daily and brushing twice a day
- using a spray that is supposed to cut down on dander
Does anyone know of anything else we can add to help this out? If you are unable to comment here because you don't have gmail or a blog, please reply to email@example.com
Brian had taken me out on Monday to see "Twilight" for my birthday. I have to love that man for going with me. He was the ONLY man in the whole theater. You know how when you go to kid's movies, you have to expect crying babies? In this movie we had this 14 year old girl sitting a little behind us whispering all the lines to the movie just about 2 seconds before the actors. She was so adorable, Brian did alot of eye rolling. Every once in a while during the particularly sappy parts he would start sucking alot of his soda, he claimed that he had to wash the vomit back down. That man cracks me up, but I know he REALLY loves me to take me there.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Anyway, these guys are small, but its alot of detail work.
Okay and here is the yoda keychain, he might be my favorite. I am going to also make set of yoda, leia, chewy, and R2 as refridgerator magnets if I can buy a few hours from the next couple of days. At the same time that I am doing these, I am thick in dressmaking land.
These next few pics are all of the pieces to a magnetic fishing set I made. Each of the pieces has a magnet inside and then each set has a "pole" with a magnet painted like a bobber.
Seahorse and Starfish
Okay so, hopefully I will put the finishing touches on the six dresses I am also in the middle of. I am in it deep this year, next year I will have to start in like April....