Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Santa's Sweatshop progress so far (and links if you wanna make them)


For Christmas, I like it when a certain percentage of the gifts are handmade. Trust me when I tell you that there is WAY more thought put into them. Crikey! One of these days I will go back to pure retail and get my evenings back. Just in case you find any of this inspiring, I will put the links where I can.

First I painted some Harry Potter peg people for Chloe. You find the bags of peg people at Hobby Lobby or Micheal's for less than 2 dollars for five of them. I have a tone of acrylic paints lying around, so I didn't need to purchase those. I did however have to purchase the finest paint brush imaginable. These are so tiny to begin with. I should have just borrowed a single strand of the hair from my friends newborn. I had great fun painting them. I know not everyone is into Harry Potter, but you can adapt them for what you like. I want to make Emma a Star Wars set. I have seen People create a little mock up of their own families too.

I made little felt tea bags for Emma's tea set Brian brought back from Holland. I am also midway through a felt set of poptarts and cookies. Here is a tutorial I am using.

The TuTu has been one of the quickest and easiest things I have made so far. I made three of them in under an hour (and that is real mom time=with many interruptions from the kiddies). I used Martha's tutorial here.

Next, my friend Terra and I made glass tile pendants and magnets. I am not sure how many of these will make it out as gifts. I love these SO much. I think we are going to be forced to make another batch just for ourselves. I used the same process for both. The glass makes it hard to photograph, but these turned out really well. Here is a tutorial. I bought all my supplies for these on Etsy very inexpensively. If you head out to a Hobby Store, its really pricey.

The last thing I made was Starbucks cup sleeves from fabric. Here is a link with several different designs.

I am in the middle of about eight knitting and sewing projects. As I get them done, I will update here and post the links just in case you are bored in the evening and need something to do while you watch holiday movies!







6 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Looks like you have been busy! Super cute gifts -- I love those little peg dolls!

Brenda said...

Those turned out GREAT!!! I made The Wiggles years ago for my kiddos. I love peg people. You should sew a little draw string bag while you are at it so she can carry them places to play with them. You know, in your spare time. :)

H-Mama said...

You are one crafty mama! I think my girls would love those necklaces... From which Etsy site did you order your supplies?

Jennifer said...

a bunch of people sell them. I just put in "glass tile pendants" for a search in the raw materials category. Depending on how many you want to make, different sellers will wind up being the cheapest. I just used the calculator, figured out who was the cheapest for the amount I wanted to buy.

I got my bails (the part that makes it a pendant) from chinafindings.

The glass tiles came from Karenscraftsupplies and supplystudio.

Rob said...

VERY crafty work! Nice job!

Jennifer said...

Brenda that has already made the list. I related to your blog post about the list with a life of its own... so there.

Angie, thanks! It reminded me how much I like painting. Pre children I used to paint canvases, I kinda wanna do that again. However, I cannot paint a wall well to save my life.