Sunday, May 10, 2009

Igor: The Movie

This was the tagline we read when we decided to rent the movie.... Animated fable about a cliché hunchbacked evil scientist's assistant who aspires to become a scientist himself, much to the displeasure of the rest of the evil science community. Since I am kinda a fan of Dr. Frankenstein and Mary Shelley I thought this might be a cute throwback to the classics... yeah.... not so much.

I can't imagine who thought to market this to younger kids, but it had too many things in it I found objectionable (and I am usually very laid back about what we watch). For example, Igor has a bunny he gave eternal life to, who is always trying to commit suicide.... and then comes back to life. While as an adult I get the funny here, I don't think it really belongs in a children's tale. As a matter of fact being so depressed you want to end it all is discussed during the first five minutes way too much.

Which explains why we never made it past the first five minutes. I think maybe it should just be marketed to an older audience.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I had the same feeling about this movie. I'm glad we skipped this one. Thanks for the mini-review of it though - I trust your judgment on this kinda stuff.