Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Old School Boardgame Geekery



We have recently decided that the kiddos are old enough for "family game night". (I have been waiting YEARS for this!!!! my inner nerd LOVES board games). I have insanely fond memories of playing sorry with my family and I got the game for free from freecycle, so it was the natural choice.

The first hurdle we had to clear was the concept that there is only one, clear winner. This was not a popular idea, at least not to the losers. We lived through several rounds of hysterical, throw yourself on the floor and weep or vomit tantrums. Once we established that none of this would change the outcome, we were able to move on. I am happy to report that we are now pretty good losers.

We are not very good winners. We gloat, we cackle with glee, and we shake our booties in the losers faces. Welcome to our next project. I am partially responsible for this. I taught the kids the "sorry dance" where you shake your booty and sing "sorry sorry sorry" to the tune of the hungry hungry hippo game commercial. Not sure why, don't question my creative genius.

I think playing board games gives parents the perfect opportunity to observe their children. For example, we have established whom we WON'T be naming executor of our estate later in life. One of our offspring (who shall remain nameless) is mercenary, cut-throat, devious, willing to cheat in order to win and has a mind for strategy that has convinced me that a career in politics or total world domination might not be too far off. Okay its not that bad, but we did laugh our behinds off about it.

5 comments:

H-Mama said...

this cracks me up... and reminds me of what it was like when we first started playing sorry with our girls. a good teaching of 'life lessons' in that game, no? :)

Rob said...

Ah the good ol Sorry game - this is a fav at our house too. I remember those days when we went through the "learning how to lose and win" times. Good stuff! Welcome back to board gaming :) A good one for "teams" which is still a popular concept at our house, is Break the Safe.

Jennifer said...

We might have to check out break the safe rob.

And HMama, oh the life lessons we have encountered....

Brenda said...

Oh I can just picture the loser fits. What an obstacle you've overcome!!!

Let's just hope they marry into a competitive family and then the sorry dance will be a hit.

Jennifer said...

lol Brenda... and oh, it was epic, the fits were just epic...