Saturday, January 17, 2009

Simple Solution Saturday: Sore noses need chapstick


We have recently gone through an epic bout with colds, and along with the sniffling came the chapped noses. Now there is a very pricey product developed just for little kids chapped noses, but I used chapstick and rubbed it under their noses. It provided the exact same relief, for a fraction of the price. Now, I recommend in hindsight clearly labeling the chapstick used for noses, especially if you are a user of chapstick for lips. The other big discovery was eucalyptus oil. If you have ever used those sudafed shower soothers that are really quite expensive, you can get a big honking bottle of eucalyptus oil from the drug store for about 4 dollars. It will last you at least a year. Just throw a little on a washcloth, throw it on the floor of the shower and it will create an awesome steamer, like living inside an awesome vaporizer.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you can use this in the vaporizer in place of the more expensive vicks stuff.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Great tips! We have done the chapstick, but I plan to try the eucalyptus too.

Rob said...

Oooo what great ideas you have!

Terra Howard said...

That's awesome. I just read about home remedies for RSV & guess what 3 sites said to use..Eucalyptus Oil. You're a genius woman. I have to admit my grandma told me about the chapstick years ago. I put Carmex underneath too & it works great. We mom's should write a book..

Jennifer said...

Aww thanks guys.

Jennifer said...

Terra,
It has worked wonders for all of us when we were sick. Even if you just "sit" in the bathroom while it steams up, its amazing. You can also use it in the vaporizers instead of the pricey vicks stuff.

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Oh I used to love it as a kid when everyone had a cold and the oil came out (parents smoke, yucky smell) but they had rings that sat on the bulbs in the lamps, awesome huh?!

Great idea with the chap stick, we might use vaseline. Last time I had a chap stick it got eaten, never found out by who...*glares at Egg*